Senior Advisor, Human Resources & Labor Relations
Jim brings over 30 years of Human Resources, Change Management, and Executive Coaching in a diverse set of organizations concentrating on utilities, mining, heavy construction / maintenance, and municipalities.
In his role as a consultant and business coach, Jim will ask powerful questions without judgment. His goal is to help executives achieve more than they ever thought possible, resulting in overall business improvement and growth. With accountability to a higher authority, it is imperative that we all advise and manage with integrity.
So, it follows that Jim’s strengths lie in his genuine interest of people and their development. He has a keen understanding of how the workforce can be best utilized to move the organization forward. And he provides that strong “shoulder to lean on” by coaching through tough leadership decisions, while keeping profitability,
relationship with employees and loyalty to the mission, top of mind.
How Jim has Helped Optimize Business Performance
- At enterprise and mid-market client companies (Utilities/mining/municipalities/construction), across the US, Jim provides executive coaching and leadership team development. As a trusted coach, Jim has worked with and trained over 10,000 leaders and high-potential employees, resulting in improved employee performance and business processes.
- Spearheaded major utility change management project. As senior leader of 8 distinct organizations, utilized a leadership / performance matrix to identify and categorize existing talent based on current competencies. Made tough top-grading decisions and managed transition of long-term, positional leaders to up-skilled, functional, and productive leaders. Within six months turned department performance to a high-level, while maintaining reliability and budget expectations.
- Led enterprise-level utility in a non-union to union conversion, successfully reconfiguring operations to a unionized organization. Trained and developed all division leaders (25% of company leaders) to effectively manage with a union, while working within the boundaries of a union contract. Trained balance of company leaders how to remain union free. Successful training and management follow-thru resulted in unionized employees voting to become nonunion again within 5 years.
- Led successful labor contract negotiations at numerus locations, for major (large enterprise) construction company, ensuring salaries and benefits remained compliant to previous contract project bid levels, and work progressed without stoppage.
- President and CEO, JL Williams Consulting Relations
- President and COO, ACTS Consulting
- General Manager, National Powerline Construction Co.
- Director of HR/Labor Relations, NPL Construction Co.
- Various Executive/Management Roles, Arizona Public Service
Clients and Companies Served
Arizona Public Service (Electric Generation, Transmission, Distribution)
Centuri Construction Group (Energy Distribution Infrastructure)
Entergy/Entergy Nuclear (Electric Generation, Transmission, Distribution, Nuclear)
Kinross Mining (Gold)
Las Vegas Visitor and Convention Center
Ottertail Power Company (Electric Generation, Transmission, Distribution)
Reedy Creek Municipality (Public Safety, Firefighters)
Rio Tinto Minerals (Copper, Boron)
San Diego Gas & Electric (Electric Transmission, Distribution, Gas Distribution)
Southwest Gas (Gas Distribution and Construction Services)
TXU (Electric Generation, Transmission, Distribution, Mining)
BS – Management, Ottawa University
Minor – Labor Management, Ottawa University
- Diversified Industrials
- Energy & Utility – Gas / Electric
- Civil Construction
- Specialty & Utility Contracting
- Labor Relations Legal
- Safety & Risk Management
- Non-Profit Associations
- Safety Leadership
- Labor Relations/Negotiation
- Business Alignment
- Labor Strategy Planning
- Executive Coaching
- Management Mentoring
- Team Performance
- Operations Turn-around
- Process Improvement
- Compliance & Regulation
- Field Leadership Development
- Ordained Pastor